Egham District Gardeners Club, circa late 19th, early 20th Century
EGHAM TOWN CLOCK
Founded in 1941 the Egham Town Clock was installed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Association.This photograph was taken at the time the clock was installed in 1991 and shows then Club members David Abbey, Jack Smart, Richard Clarke, owner of Clarke Bros., Fred Hodder and Arthur Hampton. The £400 cost of putting the clock up was paid for by EGAA together with donations from Clarke’s Butchers and Stopps the bakers.Apparently when Café Piccolo moved into the building back in 1999 the clock was removed whilst the building was refurbished but was rehung upside down which was how it remained for 10 years until it was put the right way up in 2009.
In or around 1963 Lionel Crowe leased some land from the local authority and opened what was thought to be one of the first garden centres in the country; prior to that there were only nurseries that sold just plants. Lionel sold everything you could possibly want for the garden and more – it was also a bit of an ironmongers.
Lionel Crowe is one of our long standing members who started the Egham Garden Centre.
EGHAM GARDEN CENTRE
His greatest enjoyment came from the landscaping side of the business which was run by the Late Roger Hopkins.
In 1986 the local authority wanted the land back for development so he moved his business from the High Street to Vicarage Road where he continued for a number of years before retiring.
Egham Garden Centre 1984